Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Didn't I already say I am no longer a youngster?

Now the k.org machine(s) seem to be getting updated, it is time for me to update a set of VMs I keep to build-test Git and cut RPM packages for their use.

Prepared an empty VM and installed FC14 (last time I somehow got an impression that they only use odd-numbered releases at k.org, so I had a spare FC15 prepared and have been practicing RPM generation on it, although I never deployed the packages anywhere).

  • Chose "Software Development" target (earlier in the day I tried "Minimum" but I had too many troubles configuring it);
  • Use fixed network configuration - make it available at boot and for everybody to prevent network manager from getting in the way;
  • Add myself as a user, with UID/GID that match what I use on the main machine;
  • Added entries for /home and /git NFS mountpoints in /etc/fstab, like so:
    mothership:/home /home nfs defaults,noatime 0 0
    mothership:/git /git nfs defaults,noatime 0 0
  • Disabled SELinux by editing /etc/sysconfig/selinux and saying SELINUX=disabled there;
  • Disabled X by editing /etc/inittab and saying id:3:initdefault: there.
That got me a basic working environment. It seems that it went a lot smoother than FC15 which I wrote about earlier. Then added:
  • screen
  • redhat-lsb (needed for /usr/bin/lsb_release)
It wants to use ccache and wants to put temporary in $HOME! Sheesh - caching over NFS? With this:

 $ yum remove ccache.i686

regular build starts working. Documentation build needs a few more packages:
  • asciidoc
  • xmlto
I choose not to install perl-SVN-Simple package so that I don't have to spend time running the git-svn tests on this VM.

No comments: